SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Dynamo. Engraving of a dynamo electricity generator designed by American inventor Thomas Alva Edison in 1880. The dynamo converted motion into electricity; it was connected to a steam engine by the fan belt at top centre. Edison (1847-1931) built a larger dynamo in 1881 which weighed 27 tonnes and could light 1200 light bulbs. This machine was installed in the first central power station in London, Britain. Edison opened another power station in Pearl Street, New York. Edison's dynamos produced direct current (DC) electricity which was limited to 250 volts. This system was superseded by Westinghouse's and Tesla's alternating current (AC) system.
Model release not required. Property release not required.