J-L CHARMET / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY J-L CHARMET / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Illustration showing Liebig's teaching laboratory at Giessen Unversity, Hesse, West Germany, in 1840. Justus von Liebig (1803-1873) was a German chemist who began teaching at Giessen University in 1824. There he created a laboratory for general student use, an innovation which established his reputation as a great teacher. The small univers- ity became the centre of the world for chemistry for over quarter of a century. Liebig worked in the new field of organic chemistry, perfecting a method of quantitative organic analysis. In later life he became interested in biochemistry, studying the composition of body fluids and experimenting with chemical crop fertilizers.
Model release not required. Property release not required.