ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Burlington House. Engraving of the central mansion and grounds of Burlington House in the 1690s, in the Piccadilly area of London, England. At the time, this area bordered countryside on the edge of London. Built in the Palladian style, the building seen here dates from around 1665. From 1667, the property was owned by Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Burlington (1612-1698), after whom it is named. The inscription refers to the Earl's grandson, Charles Boyle, who succeeded him as Earl in 1698. From 1857, Burlington House has been occupied by learned societies. The building has been expanded, and as of 2007 is occupied by the Royal Academy, the Geological Society of London, the Linnean Society of London, the Royal Astronomical Society, the Society of Antiquaries of London, and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Model release not required. Property release not required.