SCIENCE, INDUSTRY & BUSINESS LIBRARY / NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE, INDUSTRY & BUSINESS LIBRARY / NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Historical artwork of a compound microscope built by the Englishman John Marshall. It has several key design improvements that were invented towards the end of the 17th century. The main body (upper right) of the microscope is attached to the support rod by a screw system. This allowed small adjustments of the microscope position for a fine focus. It also included a lens (lower right) to focus light from an external source like a candle. The octagonal base had a drawer for spare parts, additional lenses and other accessories. Artwork published in Germany in 1716.
Model release not required. Property release not required.