CERN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY CERN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Editorial use only. This image may not be used to state or imply endorsement by CERN of any product, activity or service.
The Proton Synchrotron (PS) particle accelerator at CERN, the European particle physics laboratory outside Geneva. When it was commissioned in Novem- ber 1959, the PS accelerated protons to a record energy of 24 GeV. Today it can achieve energies of 28 GeV & forms a vital part of the accelerator complex at CERN that ultimately collides protons & antiprotons in the Super-Proton-Synchrotron (SPS) collider at energies of hundreds of GeV. Photo taken 1966.
Model release not required. Property release not required.