CERN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY CERN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Editorial use only. This image may not be used to state or imply endorsement by CERN of any product, activity or service.
CERN accelerator coil. Magnet coil arriving at the CERN site in December 1955. This is the coil for the synchrocyclotron (SC), the first accelerator built at CERN, the European particle physics laboratory, near Geneva, Switzerland. CERN was founded in 1954 and the synchrocyclotron was built by 1957. Unlike later CERN accelerators, this one accelerated particles in a spiral, rather than a cyclic path. It used this massive magnet coil to direct the particle beam into a spiral shape. The SC reached low energies (600 MeV), and was used to observe previously predicted particle decays and confirm new theories. The SC was closed down in 1990.
Model release not available. Property release not required.