BABAK TAFRESHI / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY BABAK TAFRESHI / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Paris Observatory. This observatory, in Paris, France, was funded by King Louis XIV and built during the period 1667 to 1672. Its first director was the Italian astronomer Giovanni Domenico Cassini (1625-1712). The original architect was Claude Perrault (1613-1688), but the building was enlarged in 1730 and 1810, which is the period from which this architecture dates. The dome at upper left was built in 1846 and is named after the observatory's director at the time, Francois Arago (1786-1853). Discoveries made at this observatory include Cassini's work on the rings and satellites of Saturn.
Model release not required. Property release not required.