ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Clifton Observatory. Tower on Clifton Down, Bristol, UK, used as a viewing point and observatory from 1828. This building, situated on a 92-metre-high cliff overlooking the Avon Gorge, was originally built in 1776 as a windmill. In 1828, the artist William West (1801-1861) installed telescopes and a camera obscura to project the view from the top of the tower onto a circular table inside. The nearby Clifton Suspension Bridge was completed in 1864. The observatory is now a listed building.
Model release not available. Property release not required.