ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Observatory House, Princeton, 1883. This building and its telescope dome (left) was erected in 1877 to provide Princeton University, New Jersey, USA, with a working telescope. The university's main astronomy building, the Halsted Observatory, was not yet equipped with a working telescope. This building, also known as the Observatory of the John C. Green School of Science at Princeton, was used to teach and house astronomy students and lecturers until it was demolished in 1963. It contained a variety of astronomical instruments. The first director was US astronomer Charles Augustus Young (1834-1908).
Model release not required. Property release not required.