ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Sydney Observatory, Observatory Hill, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. This hilltop area, overlooking the bay below, was originally the site of a windmill in 1796, then a fort in 1803. By 1858 a full working observatory had been erected here. The main tower included a time ball, used to signal time to the city and shipping authorities in the harbour by being dropped at 1pm every day. The dome (left) houses an equatorial telescope. Between that and the tower are the long, narrow windows and observing slots of a transit house. Other buildings and signalling poles are at right. The site is now a museum of astronomy.
Model release not available. Property release not required.