ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Leviathan of Birr. This 6-foot telescope, at Birr Castle, Parsonstown, Ireland, was constructed in 1845 by the Irish astronomer William Parsons (1800-1867), the 3rd Earl of Rosse. Pioneering research carried out with this telescope included the observation of the spiral structure of the M51 galaxy (1845). The telescope was the largest in the world during its lifetime, and was moved up and down between supporting walls and accessed by ladders. The 6-foot mirror and telescope was dismantled in 1908, and the support structures demolished in 1925. The site is now a museum, with a replica constructed in the 1990s.
Model release not required. Property release not required.