PATRICK LANDMANN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY PATRICK LANDMANN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Alba Bible introduction. Illuminated manuscript page from the 15th-century Alba Bible, depicting the process by which this work was commissioned. The Alba Bible, completed in 1430, is a translation of the Old Testament from Hebrew into Medieval Castilian. It was commissioned in 1422 by Don Luis de Guzman (upper left), Master of the Order of Calatrava, and translated by rabbi Moses Arragel (lower right) of Maqueda in Toledo. The 513 pages are illustrated with 334 miniatures, produced by members of the Franciscan Order in Toledo. The original is displayed in Madrid, Spain.
Model release not required. Property release not required.