MIDDLE TEMPLE LIBRARY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY MIDDLE TEMPLE LIBRARY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Whitgift's almshouses. Croydon, England, in the 1590s under the direction of John Whitgift (c.1530-1604), Archbishop of Canterbury. Whitgift is shown in the inset (lower right). These almshouses were also known as Whitgift's hospital, the Whitgift Almshouses, or the Hospital of the Holy Trinity. They were built to house elderly people, and included accommodation for Whitgift himself. They are still used to house the elderly today, and are maintained by the Whitgift Foundation. Artwork from 'Greater London' (Edward Walford, 1883-4).
Model release not required. Property release not required.