D & L GRAPHICS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY D & L GRAPHICS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Kirschner wires. Artwork of a hand holding Kirschner wires, also known as K-wires. The bones of the hand and wrist are also shown. Kirschner wires, made from stainless steel, are used in orthopaedic surgery to hold bone fragments together as they heal. They are usually inserted into the bone through the skin. They were developed in 1909 by German surgeon Martin Kirschner (1879-1942).
Model release not required. Property release not required.