FERMILAB / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY FERMILAB / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
The tunnel of the "main ring" particle accelerator at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab), outside Chicago. The main ring is 2 km in diameter & contains two accelerators, one on top of the other. The top accelerator, which employs ordinary magnets (red & blue), accelerates protons up to 150 GeV. It then passes them to the lower accelerator, which has superconducting magnets (yellow), & which is designed to accelerate the protons up to 1000 GeV. GeV is 1 TeV, hence the machine is called the Tevatron. In 1985, the accelerators began operating in collider mode, with protons circling in one direction & antiprotons in the other direction.
Model release not required. Property release not required.