SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Hypodermic syringe, dating from around 1890, England. The barrel has a silver coloured metal housing and two metal needles lie alongside the syringe in its case. First developed by Charles Pravaz (French) and Alexander Wood (Scottish) in the 1850s, metal hypodermic syringes were used to inject medications into the bloodstream by piercing the skin. Around the year 1866, formerly metal barrels were replaced by glass ones such as in this example, allowing the volume of liquid remaining in the barrel to be seen.
Model release not required. Property release not required.