50.0 MB (2.8 MB compressed)
5120 x 3413 pixels
43.4 x 29.0 cm ⏐ 17.1 x 11.4 in (300dpi)
GUSTOIMAGES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY GUSTOIMAGES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Image taken inside the Start Point light house which is located in South Devon. Start Point lighthouse was built in 1836 to protect shipping off Start Point in south Devon England. Open to the public in summer months, it is a grade II listed building owned and operated by Trinity House. The optic lens is developed from the dioptic system designed by Alan Stevenson, the first of this kind to be used by Trinity House.Two white lights were originally exhibited, one revolving and one fixed to mark the Skerries Bank. The fixed light was subsequently changed to a fixed red subsidiary light to mark this hazard. The light was powered by oil until 1959 when it was electrified. It uses a Fresnel lens.
Model release not required. Property release not required.