ED YOUNG / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ED YOUNG / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Bevatron accelerator. Fisheye-lens photograph of the Bevatron synchrotron at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, USA. The Bevatron began operating in 1954 and was shut down in 1993. During its life it was used to make many major advances in particle physics, including the discovery of the antiproton in 1955. It was also used to study the effectiveness of energetic particles in destroying cancerous tumours. The Bevatron could accelerate protons and heavy ions up to an energy of 6 gigaelectronvolts (GeV). Concrete shielding protected the workers from radiation. Photographed in 1982.
Model release not required. Property release not required.