SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Water wheels at Marly. Le Port-Marly on the River Seine to the Palace of Versailles, near Paris, France. The first Machine de Marly had 14 large water wheels and was completed in 1684 (see C023/5291). Later replacements included a steam engine (1827-1857), and a set of six water wheels (one shown here) present from 1857 to 1968, and erected to a design by the engineer Dufrayer. Artwork from 'Moteurs' (1911) by French civil engineer Max de Nansouty (1854-1913), part of the 'Les merveilles de la science' series of 1867-1891 by Louis Figuier.
Model release not required. Property release not required.