SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Machine de Marly. Historical illustration of the first Machine de Marly, built for the French King Louis XIV to pump water from near Le Port-Marly on the River Seine to the Palace of Versailles, near Paris, France. It consisted of 14 large water wheels that powered 250 pumps that raised water 162 metres to the Louveciennes aqueduct (upper right). Designed by Rennequin Sualem and Arnold de Ville, and completed in 1684, it was in use for around 133 years. This artwork, based on a 1723 painting, is from 'Moteurs' (1911) by French civil engineer Max de Nansouty (1854-1913), part of the 'Les merveilles de la science' series of 1867-1891 by Louis Figuier.
Model release not required. Property release not required.