SPUTNIK / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SPUTNIK / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
First nuclear power station. Uranium fuel rods in the Obninsk nuclear power plant near Moscow, Russia. Obninsk was the first civilian power station in the world, generating around 5 MW (megawatts) of electricity. It opened in 1954 and operated until 2002 when it was shut down. The site now houses a museum to nuclear power. Photographed in 2000.
Model release not required. Property release not required.