MARK THOMAS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY MARK THOMAS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Trafalgar Square, City of Westminster, London, UK. This view looks north towards the National Gallery, founded in 1824. At right is Nelson's Column (52 metres tall), built between 1840 and 1843 to commemorate the death of Admiral Horatio Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The bronze lions date from the 1860s. The two fountains date from the 1930s, replacing earlier ones from the 1840s. Three of the square's four plinths are occupied by statues (George IV and generals Charles Napier and Henry Havelock). The Fourth Plinth (left) is here occupied by the 'Hahn/Cock' sculpture (blue) of a domestic cockerel. Photographed on 13 August 2014.
Model release not required. Property release not required.