ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Armagh Observatory, Northern Ireland, in 1883. This observatory was founded in 1790 by Archbishop Richard Robinson (1709-1794). The observatory was a Georgian residence by architect Francis Johnston. At right is the Main Building and the main telescope dome (1790). At centre left is the Sector Tower (1841), housing the Sisson Zenith Sector. At far left is the East Tower (1827) with a dome 4.3 metres across. Various meteorological instruments are installed on the lawn and on the rooftops. The shutter of the mural circle room is seen open next to the East Tower, with the shutters of the transit room next to the Sector Tower.
Model release not required. Property release not required.