ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Edinburgh Observatory, Scotland. This refractor telescope (manufactured in 1872 by Grubb in Dublin) was part of the equipment donated by the Earl of Crawford (James Lindsay) in 1888 to set up a new Royal Observatory (1894) on Blackford Hill, Edinburgh. The astronomer making observations here is South African astronomer Jakob Karl Ernst Halm (1866-1944), who worked at Blackford Hill from 1895 to 1907. For this instrument installed in its previous location at Dunecht Observatory, see image R102/0234.
Model release not required. Property release not required.