SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Central telephone exchange. Historical illustration of the wiring and indicators of four switchboards at a central telephone exchange. At a telephone exchange, wires and switches (forming what is called a switchboard) are used to re-route telephone calls to their destinations. The telephone was developed in the 1870s, with several inventors pioneering the technology. For close-ups of the front and back of the switchboards, see images C024/6468 and C024/6469. Artwork from 'Electricite' (1911) by Max de Nansouty, part of the 'Les merveilles de la science' series of 1867-1891 by Louis Figuier.
Model release not required. Property release not required.