SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Telephone switchboard. Historical illustration of a front view of the wiring (bottom) and indicators (top) of a switchboard as used at a telephone exchange. The indicators have been triggered, indicating the switches that need connecting with a wire (as shown). These wires are used to re-route telephone calls to their destinations. The telephone was developed in the 1870s, with several inventors pioneering the technology. For the back of this switchboard, see image C024/6469. Artwork from 'Electricite' (1911) by Max de Nansouty, part of the 'Les merveilles de la science' series of 1867-1891 by Louis Figuier.
Model release not required. Property release not required.