LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, GEOGRAPHY AND MAP DIVISION / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, GEOGRAPHY AND MAP DIVISION / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Constantinople. Constantinople, capital of the Ottoman Empire with its rulers across bottom. Before its conquest in 1453, it had been capital of the Byzantine Empire. During the Ottoman period, it increased in population from around 80,000 to some 300,000. This view looks north, with Europe at left and Asia at right. The Sea of Mamara is at left, with the strait named the Bosphorus (right) leading to the Black Sea. This is a 1612 edition of a map first published in volume 1 (1572) of the city atlas 'Civitates orbis terrarum'. This atlas was edited by Georg Braun (c.1540-1622) and largely engraved by Franz Hogenberg.
Model release not required. Property release not required.