38.6 MB (2.3 MB compressed)
4200 x 3216 pixels
35.6 x 27.2 cm ⏐ 14.0 x 10.7 in (300dpi)
NYPL / SCIENCE SOURCE / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY NYPL / SCIENCE SOURCE / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
West Side and Yonkers Patent Railway test run, 1867. On April 20, 1866, the West Side and Yonkers Patent Railway Company was formed by Charles T. Harvey and was awarded the approval to begin construction of an elevated line operating on Greenwich Street, then Ninth Avenue from Battery Place to 30th Street. Construction on the line began on July 1, 1867. The first column was erected on October 7, 1867 and was tested in December 1867. The 0.5 miles line was dubbed the one-legged railroad, because the single track ran above the street on a single row of columns. The cable was a loop, driven by a stationary engine, that ran between the rails for propulsion of the cars, and then returned under the street. The equipment included three complete passenger cars; four vaults where the machinery was located; and patent rights. The name was later changed to the West Side and Yonkers Patent Elevated Railway Company. The line opened for business on July 1,.
Model release not required. Property release not required.