ALASTAIR PHILIP WIPER / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ALASTAIR PHILIP WIPER / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
ISR particle accelerator component at CERN. Part of the Intersecting Storage Rings (ISR) particle accelerator at CERN that was decommissioned in 1984. CERN is the European particle physics laboratory, located on the Swiss-French border near Geneva. The first CERN accelerators, which began operating in 1957 and in 1959, were relatively small, only a few hundred metres across. The ISR operated from 1971 to 1984. Later particle accelerators at CERN were massive underground rings many kilometres across. Particles were accelerated and collided at high speeds, producing new particles that were examined with large detectors. Many of the key discoveries in particle physics have been made at CERN. Photographed in November 2014.
Model release not required. Property release not required.