SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
During the Hundred Years War between England and France, a French relief force of 1600 men broke the siege by the English of the significant port of Dieppe in 1443. The attack on the bastille of the English garrison to the east of the town was led by the Dauphin, Louis. The French had brought a number of portable wooden bridges on wheels and several cranes to position them over the ditches surrounding the bastille to allow scaling of the palisade with ladders. The citizens of Dieppe brought out between 60 to 80 mechanical crossbows to assist the French attackers. The English bastille was equipped by cannons, bombards, catapults and other artillery to attack the walls, towers and houses of Dieppe. The victorious French carried the captured weapons into Dieppe to add to the town arsenal.
Model release not available. Property release not required.