SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Newfoundland Telegraph House in the 1850s. Rostrum footage of an artwork of Telegraph House, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland, in the period 1857-8. This building was the terminus for the 1858 trans-Atlantic telegraph cable, laid from Ireland. The cable arrived here on 4 August 1858. The USS Niagara had laid half the cable westwards from a mid-point in the Atlantic, where it had been spliced to the other half of the cable that HMS Agamemnon would lay eastwards to Valentia in Ireland. The Agamemnon arrived at Trinity Bay a day later, August 5, following the completion of its section. This building was situated at the end of the 400-mile cable laid across Newfoundland from its eastern coast. The building was completed in 1856. The artwork is after a painting by the artist and lithographer Robert Dudley.
Model release not required. Property release not required.