MARK THOMAS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY MARK THOMAS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Historical ophthalmic electrodes. Set of Wirtz cataphoresis electrodes in a wooden case. These electrodes were first invented by R. Wirtz in 1908. They were designed for a procedure known as ocular catophoresis, for the treatment of corneal ulcers, keratitis and episcleritis. The process used electrophoresis to enhance the delivery of drugs into the eye. An electric current was passed from one electrode on the eyeball, through cotton sponges soaked in the relevant drug, to another electrode placed on the body surface. Photographed at the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London, UK.
Model release not available. Property release not required.