SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Relief panel accompanying the marble statue of St. Eligius created in 1417 by the Italian sculptor Nanni d'Antonio di Banco. It was commissioned by the Arte dei Maniscalchi guild of farriers and ironsmiths for an external niche of the Church of Orsanmichele in Florence. St. Eligius was a French bishop who began his career as a goldsmith. The panel illustrates the legend of St. Eligius shoeing a fractious horse that he believed was possessed by demons. He cut off the horse's foreleg and, while the horse stood on its remaining three legs, re-shod the hoof then miraculously re-attached the amputated leg.
Model release not available. Property release not required.