METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
First Atlantic telegraph cable, 1858. This telegraph cable was laid between Newfoundland and Valentia Bay (Ireland). Laid by the American steamer Niagara and British steamer Agamemnon, the cable transmitted its first message on 17 August 1858. The cable consisted of a core of copper wires, surrounded by gutta-percha (latex), tarred hemp and an outer sheath of iron wires. It weighed 625 kilograms per kilometre. This first cable failed in September 1858, but a second cable was laid in 1865.
Model release not required. Property release not required.